The SEARCH Investigative and Forensic Toolbar gives investigators and forensic examiners quick links for finding people, and finding out what they’re up to on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram. It also includes resources for cell phone forensics, the backbone of any modern-day investigation.
The Toolbar offers IP address lookup tools, wireless hotspot locators, and peer-to-peer network investigation aids. It helps users find the latest outcomes in digital evidence case law. The Toolbar also links users to the national ICAC Task Force program website and key U.S. DOJ websites.
The topics of the toolbar are grouped by utility:
- ISP List: A database of Internet Service Providers that will help you get the information you need for your case. For each ISP listed, you’ll find the legal contact information and instructions you need in order to serve subpoenas, court orders, and search warrants.
- SEARCH Group, Inc.: Quick links to information about SEARCH and resources offered within our High-Tech Crime Training Services program. Also links to training courses and the training calendar.
- Seek: Sites that search for people by name, phone number, username, or address. It also includes a link to archive.org, home of the Wayback Machine, which allows you to view archived web pages.
- Cell: Tools for device investigations, plus resources for manufacturer, carrier, and tower information. There’s also a link to a comprehensive glossary of cell phone terms.
- IP: Sites that help you find, trace or track Internet Protocol numbers. You’ll also find links to domain resources.
- 802.11: Tools for locating Wifi hotspots, MAC addresses and WPA passwords; resources for Wifi standards.
- P2P: Links to key tools for doing peer-to-peer network investigations.
- Legal: Links to digital evidence case law summaries and other academic legal resources.
- SN: Tools and tips for using the social networking sites Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram in your investigation. Also includes a link to Facebook’s law enforcement online request page.
- Health and Safety: Links to resources for investigators, educators, and parents on how to be safe on social media sites. Also includes links to NCMEC and the Stalking Resource Center.
- U.S. DOJ: Links to key Department of Justice websites.
- ICAC: Links to the national Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force program website, plus contact information for regional ICAC Task Force members.
Access to Toolbar Content
The SEARCH Investigative and Forensic Toolbar is available as a browser add-on/extension for Firefox, Chrome, and Safari. Users can also access it on Internet Explorer/Edge, using the approach provided below.
The Toolbar can be accessed in a number of ways. For quickest results, we recommend users follow the direct links provided here.
To link directly to the Toolbar add-on in Firefox, go to goo.gl/8GTh22 and follow the instructions.
Please see the instructions to install the Toolbar here.
To link directly to the Toolbar extension in Chrome, go to goo.gl/dExuOD and follow the instructions.
Or download the Toolbar through the Chrome web store at https://chrome.google.com/webstore/category/apps. Search for SEARCH Investigative and Forensic Toolbar.
Click on this link in Safari, https://goo.gl/RT65po, and a download screen will appear. Double-click to download the Toolbar extension. Click Trust at the prompt and the Toolbar will install in Safari.