SEARCH oversees a quality assurance program that offers voluntary performance standards for State criminal history repositories. The goal is to encourage the quality and integrity of justice data maintained and reported by these repositories.
The program offers a comprehensive self-inspection tool that state repositories can use to assure data quality. State repository representatives, with help from officials of the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division, developed the tool; it was then reviewed by the SEARCH Membership and pilot tested in several states:
The Quality Assurance Checklist can serve three main purposes:
- To establish a baseline of repository operations, including alignment with nationally accepted requirements and best practices;
- To identify gaps in repository operations; and
- To train and educate existing and future staff on repository operations.
The Civil Fingerprint Handling Cost Analysis Tool helps repositories determine the costs for noncriminal justice purpose background checks. By using this tool, repositories can:
- Better understand the monetary costs of providing background check services; and
- Provide a rationale for establishing a baseline for setting fees.
The QA and Cost Analysis Tools are bundled together in one Microsoft Word document that can be filled out electronically:
- FBI CJIS Division, Electronic Biometric Transmission Specification, v. 9.4, December 2012
- Title 28, CFR Part 20, Criminal Justice Information Systems
- FBI CJIS Division, Next Generation Identification Program (NGI) Rap Back Service Criminal Justice Policy and Implementation Guide, v. 1.2, July 29, 2013
- FBI CJIS Division, Next Generation Identification Program (NGI) Rap Back Service Non-Criminal Justice Policy and Implementation Guide, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 1: Approved Rap Back Privacy Risk Mitigation Strategies, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 2: Submitting Entity Start-up Checklist, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 3: Subscribing Entity Reference Guide to NGI’s Rap Back Service, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 4: Non-Criminal Justice Rap Back Related Data in EBTS, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 5: NGI Rap Back Subscription Management Plans, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 6: Use of EBTS field 2.2020: Rap Back Recipient, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Appendix 7: Change History, v. 2.1, June 1, 2014
- Joint Task Force on RAP Sheet Standardization, Interstate Criminal History Transmission Specification, XML Version 4.1, December 2013
- Interstate Criminal History Transmission Specification, XML Version 4.1, December 2011; the specification is composed of multiple files maintained at nlets.org.*
- The Interstate Identification Index/National Fingerprint Operations Manual is restricted to authorized users of the FBI’s Law Enforcement Enterprise Portal (LEEP).
- For current LEEP users: After logging in, go to the III Special Interest Group, III-SEG, to access the manual.
- For others: To view information regarding your eligibility to join LEEP and to obtain a LEEP account, access LEEP directly and follow the instructions and links.
*Note: This link displays a CAPTCHA anti-spam query box that requires you to enter text first in order to access the site.