SEARCH welcomes four new Members to its Board of Directors following elections held during SEARCH’s 2019 Annual Membership Group Meeting July 22 in Washington, D.C. The election, along with a new bylaw change and Member departures, has resulted in a new Board roster.
The newly elected Board Members, who will serve two-year terms that expire in July 2021, are:
- Mr. Brad Cazort, Director, Arkansas Crime Information Center, who has served as a SEARCH Member since November 2017.
- Mr. David Jobes, Assistant Director, Iowa Department of Public Safety, who has served as a SEARCH Member since March 2017 and previously served from 2011–2014.
- Ms. Leila McNeill, Chief, Crime Identification Bureau, Idaho State Police, a SEARCH Member since August 2018.
- Mr. Matt Ruel, Director, Bureau of Identification, Maine State Police, a SEARCH Member since 2013, who previously served two terms on the Board.
Re-elected to the Board was At-Large Member Bob Wessels, Vice Chair of the Texas Judicial Committee on Information Technology, who has served on the Board since 2004 and was elected to a new two-year term that expires in July 2021.
The SEARCH Membership elected Mr. Cazort, Mr. Jobes, Ms. McNeill, Mr. Ruel and Mr. Wessels to their posts by acclamation.
Continuing to serve leadership roles on the Board, with terms that expire in July 2020, are:
- Chair Leslie Moore, Director, Information Services Division, Kansas Bureau of Investigation.
- Vice Chair, Major Brandon Gray, Commanding Officer, Identification & Information Technology Section, New Jersey State Police.
- Immediate Past Chair Brad Truitt, Director of Information Systems, Tennessee Bureau of Investigation
|Maj. Brandon Gray
State Members continuing to serve on the Board, with terms that expire in July 2020, are:
- Jason Bright, Supervisor of the Criminal Records & Identification Services Section, Criminal Investigation Division, Montana Department of Justice.
- Adam Dean, Director of the Office of Criminal Justice Records, New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services.
- Kathryn Monfreda, Acting Director, Division of Statewide Services, Alaska Department of Public Safety.
- Lisa Voss, Assistant Director, State Bureau of Identification, Delaware State Police.
At-Large Members continuing to serve on the Board, with terms that expire in July 2020, are:
- Daniel Foro, Senior Advisor, New York State Sheriffs’ Association Institute.
- James Lynch, Professor in the Department of Criminology and Criminal Justice, University of Maryland.
Due to a Bylaw change voted into effect by the SEARCH Membership at its July meeting, the 15th position on the Board of Directors will be held by a representative of the Open Justice Broker Consortium (OJBC), an organization that serves as SEARCH’s development arm. SEARCH expects that representative to be named in August or September.
Transitioning off the Board, and in some cases the SEARCH Membership, were the following individuals. The July 21, 2019, Board Meeting was the last they attended. SEARCH thanks them for their dedication and service and wishes them well:
- Robert Merwine, who served as Pennsylvania’s SEARCH Member since 2011, left the Board and Membership following a job change in his state.
- Wyatt Pettengill, North Carolina State Bureau of Investigation, stepped down from the Board after one term. He will continue to serve as North Carolina’s SEARCH Member.
- Longtime At-Large Member David Steingraber, who also had served as Wisconsin’s governor-appointed Member for 8years, stepped down from the Board and Membership following 16 years of involvement with SEARCH.
- Major Jennie Temple, South Carolina Law Enforcement Division, who served two terms on the Board, stepped down from the Board and Membership following a job change in her state. She had represented South Carolina on the Membership Group since 2015.