Public safety and the effective administration of justice rely upon making complete and accurate justice information available to decision-makers who enact, enforce and adjudicate our laws and protect the public.
SEARCH operates a robust program of advocacy, education and outreach to support state, local, tribal and Federal justice, public safety and homeland security information sharing. As the premier resource on justice information sharing, SEARCH Members (governor appointees from the states and territories) represent the collective voice of the states and territories on these critical issues, and voice their priorities to Congress, the administration, regulatory agencies and others.
Government Affairs Resources
- Download a one-page flyer that outlines the key policy issues we offer expertise on
- Read our white paper on Improving NICS for Firearms Purchases
- Read this blog post on a Capitol Hill briefing hosted by SEARCH on the importance of information sharing to effective criminal justice reform.
- SEARCH Policy Statements, which articulate our core principles as developed and approved by the SEARCH Membership Group, July 29, 2014
- Learn more about SEARCH’s mission, and how the Government Affairs team can support Members of Congress and their staff by viewing SEARCH’s Capitol Hill briefing.
- Review one-page information papers that the Government Affairs team has submitted to Members of Congress and their staff on the following topics:
- Recommendations on the Corrections Oversight, Recidivism Reduction, and Eliminating Costs for Taxpayers In Our National System (CORRECTIONS) Act. (SEARCH’s recommendations were included in the Senate’s sentencing reform bill).
- Recommendations on the National Criminal Justice Commission Act of 2015
- Recommendations regarding FY 2016 Department of Justice Funding (Commerce, Justice, Science and Related Agencies Appropriations) (NCHIP and NARIP)
- Recommendations on the Public Safety and Second Amendment Rights Protection Act of 2015 (NARIP reauthorization)