The SEARCH Investigative Toolbar is an aid for investigators who conduct online, cellular telephone, or wireless network investigations. Once installed, it becomes a readily available desktop resource that contains some of the most frequently used and up-to-date online investigative links for law enforcement.
The toolbar appears as a menu bar on your browser. The headers on the menu bar are grouped by utility:
- Seek: Sites that search for people by name, phone number, username, or address. It also includes a link to archive.org, home of the Wayback Machine, which allows you to view archived web pages.
- IP: Sites that help you find, trace or track Internet Protocol numbers. It also has links to domain resources.
- Cell: Tools for device investigations, plus resources for manufacturer, carrier, and tower information. There’s also a link to a comprehensive glossary of cell phone terms.
- 802.11: Tools for locating Wifi hotspots, MAC addresses and WPA passwords; resources for Wifi standards.
- SN: Links for social networking sites Facebook, Myspace, Twitter and more. Also includes tools for mapping social network activity and a link to Facebook’s law enforcement online request page.
- P2P: Links to key tools for doing P2P network investigations.
- ISP List: A database of Internet Service Providers that will help you get the information you need for your case. For each ISP listed, you’ll find the legal contact information and instructions you need in order to serve subpoenas, court orders, and search warrants.
A link to the Toolbar, along with important download and installation instructions, are provided in the Toolbar Installation Guide.
Users are strongly advised to follow these instructions carefully.
The Toolbar is a law enforcement community effort hosted by a third party. Occasionally site maintenance and updates cause unexpected results for users. We apologize in advance if your experience with the Toolbar is anything but productive.