SEARCH oversees a quality assurance program that offers voluntary performance standards for State criminal history repositories. The goal is to encourage the quality and integrity of justice data maintained and reported by these repositories.
The program offers the following self-inspection tools that state repositories can use to assure data quality. State repository representatives, with help from officials of the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services (CJIS) Division, developed the tools; they were then reviewed by the SEARCH Membership; and pilot tested in several states.
Tools in MS Word (fill out electronically or in hard copy)
Downloadable Resource Documents
- State Repository Quality Assurance Program Guide
- FBI CJIS Division, Electronic Biometric Transmission Specification, v. 9.4, December 2012
- Title 28, CFR Part 20, Criminal Justice Information Systems
Resource Materials on External Websites
- Interstate Criminal History Transmission Specification, XML Version 4.1, December 2011; the specification is composed of multiple files maintained at www.nlets.org.*
- The Interstate Identification Index/National Fingerprint Operations Manual is restricted to authorized users of the FBI’s Law Enforcement Enterprise Portal (LEEP).
- For current LEEP users: After logging in, go to the III Special Interest Group, III-SEG, to access the manual.
- For others: To view information regarding your eligibility to join LEEP and to obtain a LEEP account, access LEEP directly and follow the instructions and links.
—Source: Use and Management of Criminal History Record Information
*Note: This link displays a CAPTCHA anti-spam query box that requires you to enter text first in order to access the site.