High-tech crime investigators at all levels can benefit from tools and resources that provide targeted information, strategies and tips. The stakes are high—online fraud, Internet bullying, child exploitation, identity theft, and more—with nearly every crime today leaving a digital footprint. Collected here is a range of SEARCH resources developed for high-tech crime investigators.
While most investigators today have a working knowledge of the Internet, they may not be aware of the many free tools available that can take that basic knowledge and turn it into something more robust. While these tools help to streamline and enhance investigations, they are not considered too high-tech or advanced for the basic investigator to master. These podcasts offer the knowledge and insight of practitioners in conducting the three main components of an online investigation: people searching, information searching, and capturing/saving data.
See our Podcasts page for detailed descriptions of each podcast and the participants, as well as links to resources offered by the practitioners we interviewed.
Check out our online ISP List, which provides legal contact information for more than 700 Internet Service Providers, for service of subpoenas, court orders, and search warrants.
Use our handy online form to request one or more of these documents, offered by ISPs as a service to law enforcement investigators:
- Comcast Cable/Xfinity Law Enforcement Handbook
- Ebay Responding to Law Enforcement Record Requests
- Experience Project Law Enforcement Guidelines
- Facebook Law Enforcement Compliance Guide
- Formspring Law Enforcement Guide
- Formspring Legal Process Policies
- hi5 Official Law Enforcement Guide
- MeetMe Law Enforcement Compliance Guide
- MocoSpace Law Enforcement Guide
- myYearbook Law Enforcement Guidelines
- Sonic.net Legal Process Policy
- Stickam Law Enforcement Guide
- Tagged Official Law Enforcement Guide
- TeenSpot.com Law Enforcement Handbook
- Verizon Law Enforcement Legal Compliance Guide
- Yahoo! Compliance Guide for Law Enforcement
The SEARCH Investigative Toolbar is an aid for investigators who conduct online, cellular telephone, or wireless network investigations. Once installed, it becomes a readily available desktop resource that contains some of the most frequently used and up-to-date online investigative links for law enforcement. Learn more about the Toolbar
Note: Users must download the Toolbar Installation Guide, which provides download and installation instructions for the Toolbar itself. We strongly advise all users to follow these instructions carefully.
SEARCH offers four basic, self-paced training courses for high-tech crime investigators.
- Social Networking Sites: Investigative Tools and Techniques
This course is suitable for ALL law enforcement investigators—high-tech crime, gangs, homicide, vice, property crimes, narcotics, or other details. It covers tools, techniques and tips for investigating Myspace and other social networking sites.
- Basic Computer Skills for Law Enforcement
This course is designed for investigators planning to attend advanced onsite computer investigation courses through SEARCH, the National White Collar Crime Center, and the Internet Crimes Against Children Task Force Program. This course will guide you through basic computer skills and will ensure that you are sufficiently prepared to attend future computer investigation classes.
- Network Investigation and Digital Triage (NIDT): Pre-Course Considerations
This course introduces investigators to networking, lays the groundwork for how the Internet works, and shows how to determine the legal compliance resources for an IP address and a domain name. It is a prerequisite for the classroom NIDT training course offered by SEARCH.
- Child Protection System Instructor Update
- Authenticating Evidence Found in Cyberspace
- U.S. Supreme Court Limits Warrantless Cell Phone Searches
- An Investigator’s Guide to Mozilla Firefox
- How to Google More Effectively
- Cellular Device Data Recovery Preparation Considerations and Troubleshooting
- A Law Enforcement Investigator’s Guide to Basic Digital Officer Safety
- The SEARCH Social Networking Custom Search Engine
- Creating a Cellular Device Investigation Toolkit: Basic Hardware and Software Specifications
- Creating a Wireless Network Investigation Toolkit: Basic Hardware and Software Specifications
- Seized Handheld Device Worksheets
- How to Capture a MySpace Page for Investigative Purposes
- A Guide to Online Gaming for Law Enforcement Investigators
- How to Effectively Search MySpace.com: A Guide for Investigators
- Methods for Capturing Volatile Data
- Collecting Evidence from a Running Computer: A Technical and Legal Primer for the Justice Community
- Creating a Forensic Computer System: Basic Hardware and Software Specifications
- Viewing Email Headers
Revised August 2005
- Setting up an Online Investigative Computer: Hardware, Connectivity and Software Recommendations