Programs Overview Law and Policy High-Tech Crime Information Sharing Justice Information Exchange Model (JIEM®) Podcasts Justice Information Sharing Podcasts Public Safety Communications Podcasts Public Safety Management: Lessons Learned and Best Practices Technical Assistance COML and COMT Training Communications Interoperability Resources Information Sharing Team Publications
Transitioning from Agency-Owned to Commercial Wireless Data NetworksTopic/Title: "Transitioning from Agency-Owned to Commercial Wireless Data Networks"
Participant: Lt. John Sprague, Kitsap County Sheriff’s Office, Washington
Listen to Full Interview (duration time: 27:41:00)
- Your previous mobile data network was similar to others around the country based on land mobile radio technologies.
- What drove the switch to commercial wireless services?
- What are the risks of using commercial services?
- Let’s talk about costs. Some agencies contemplating switching from legacy mobile data networks to commercial wireless services struggle with monthly recurring costs. For example, grants won’t pay for ongoing service outside of the grant period.
- How have you evaluated costs?
- Did you have ongoing costs for the previous system?
- Were you able to offset any specific costs with the switch?
- Are there cost differences between participating agencies?
- Have recent economic impacts in the region led to more or less support for using commercial services?
- Has the project improved interagency cooperation in other ways?
- In closing, what are your take-away messages for agencies similarly switching from agency-owned systems to commercial network services?
Written transcript of interview
These podcasts are made possible through the COPS 2007 Technology Program. They are part of a continuing technical assistance and training program designed to share information between grantees and others who may benefit from their experiences. Interviews recorded and presented as podcasts will focus on practical guidance for information sharing and communications interoperability projects.
This project was supported by Cooperative Agreement #2007-CK-WX-K002 by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Points of view or opinions expressed in this podcast are those of guests and moderators, and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.