Programs Overview Law and Policy High-Tech Crime Information Sharing Justice Information Exchange Model (JIEM®) Podcasts Justice Information Sharing Podcasts Public Safety Communications Podcasts Public Safety Management: Lessons Learned and Best Practices Technical Assistance COML and COMT Training Communications Interoperability Resources Information Sharing Team Publications
Why Regional Communications Plans Can Help Improve Systems Planning and OperationsTopic/Title: "Why Regional Communications Plans Can Help Improve Systems Planning and Operations"
Participant: Ken Hughes, Regional Communications Planner, City of New Orleans, Louisiana
Listen to Full Interview (duration time: 22:59:00)
- Can you tell us a bit generally about the voice and data communications that public safety responders have in New Orleans and surrounding parishes?
- How did your Regional Interoperable Communications Plan come about?
- How did you develop a shared talkgroup plan for the region?
- What have you learned over time as revisions to the talkgroup plan have been needed?
- How has your adoption of the Incident Command System (ICS) shaped the regional talkgroup plan?
- How do individuals fulfilling the ICS Communications Unit Leader role apply the plan during incidents?
- What’s the purpose of the regional field operations guide, or RFOG, and how does is it differ from the Regional Interoperable Communications Plan?
- What’s being done to assure survivability of your regional radio system?
- What carry-away messages for success do you have that others can model?
Written transcript of interview
These podcasts are made possible through the COPS 2007 Technology Program. They are part of a continuing technical assistance and training program designed to share information between grantees and others who may benefit from their experiences. Interviews recorded and presented as podcasts will focus on practical guidance for information sharing and communications interoperability projects.
This project was supported by Cooperative Agreement #2007-CK-WX-K002 by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Points of view or opinions expressed in this podcast are those of guests and moderators, and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.