Programs Overview Law and Policy High-Tech Crime Information Sharing Justice Information Exchange Model (JIEM®) Podcasts Justice Information Sharing Podcasts Public Safety Communications Podcasts Public Safety Management: Lessons Learned and Best Practices Technical Assistance COML and COMT Training Communications Interoperability Resources Information Sharing Team Publications
Managing the Funding and Finance Challenges of Large Communications Systems DevelopmentTopic/Title: "Managing the Funding and Finance Challenges of Large Communications Systems Development"
Participant: Tom Sorley, Deputy Director of Radio Communications Services, City of Houston, Texas
Listen to Full Interview (duration time: 21:34:00)
- Can you tell us a bit about Houstonís project and share your background with it?
- How did you come up with funding for such a large project, estimated to be over $130 million?
- How have you dealt with grants that look to fund smaller, standalone projects?
- Why do you say it is important to bring agency grant and finance people into the project early on?
- Did the finance committee have any involvement with the RFP or evaluation?
- How do you build a defensible cost distribution model for sharing costs across participants?
- What are the challenges in scheduling and synchronizing funding cycles across various grants and other sources?
- Do you have individual milestones spread across multiple funding sources?
- What other unanticipated funding and finance challenges have you faced with your project?
- Where do you find out about best practices and lessons learned by others?
- How do very large projects, such as Houstonís, vary from smaller ones?
- Are there any regulatory or technology clouds on the horizon that may impact your project?
- What carry-away messages do you have regarding managing funding and finance challenges?
Written transcript of interview
These podcasts are made possible through the COPS 2007 Technology Program. They are part of a continuing technical assistance and training program designed to share information between grantees and others who may benefit from their experiences. Interviews recorded and presented as podcasts will focus on practical guidance for information sharing and communications interoperability projects.
This project was supported by Cooperative Agreement #2007-CK-WX-K002 by the U.S. Department of Justice Office of Community Oriented Policing Services. Points of view or opinions expressed in this podcast are those of guests and moderators, and do not necessarily represent the official position or policies of the U.S. Department of Justice.