Social networking sites are often used as a vehicle for crime, whether it’s for gang recruitment, predators finding targets, or for the purposes of fraud and exploitation, identity theft, or online harassment and bullying.
Social networking sites can also be used as a vehicle to fight crime. Investigators can learn about probation/parole violations, find images and videos that have evidentiary value, and discover associations between suspects/victims/witnesses.
- The variations and history of social networking
- Digital officer safety, and how to not compromise your social networking website investigations
- How profiles are created
- The need to have multiple profiles
- How to utilize various search tools
- The process required to conduct successful investigations
- How to search other social networking websites beyond Facebook
- How to successfully search, locate and replicate information
- How social networking sites handle law enforcement legal process requests
Audience: ALL law enforcement investigators—high-tech crime, gangs, homicide, vice, property crimes, narcotics, or other details