About SEARCH Overview Company Background SEARCH News 2013 2012 2011 2010 2009 2008 2007 2006 2005 2004 Awards Membership Group Board of Directors Staff Careers Partners Contact Us
DHS "One-stop Shop" of Public Safety Tools Features SEARCH-developed Products, TrainingBack See more recent articles
Public Safety Technical Assistance Tools Website:
The site features materials contributed by DHS's Office of Emergency Communications (OEC), SAFECOM and ICTAP, the Interoperable Communications Technical Assistance Program.
SEARCH wrote or contributed to the development of many of the tools available through this site under the OEC Guidance Documents section. In addition, the Public Safety Available Tools section features two courses created and delivered by SEARCH staff and available online.
The OEC's Public Safety Technical Assistance Tools Website features these materials:
- The National Interoperability Field Operations Guide (NIFOG) and NIFOG Request Form. The NIFOG is a technical reference for emergency communications planning and for radio technicians responsible for radios that will be used in disaster response.
- The Response Level Communications Tool (NECP Goal 2). The State/Local and Tribal Response Level Communications Tools provide state, urban, local, and tribal practitioners with an after-action reporting capability to independently and regularly assess response-level emergency communications following planned events and real incidents involving multiple jurisdictions and agencies. The tool may also be used by jurisdictions that are seeking to demonstrate Goal 2 of the National Emergency Communications Plan (NECP).
- A link to the Communications Assets Survey and Mapping (CASM), which requires CASM credentials to log in.
- OEC Guidance Documents, which offer links to PDF documents, Word templates, and external websites, on topics that include communications interoperability performance measurement, tabletop exercise methodology, emergency communications system life cycle planning, interoperability planning for wireless broadband, writing guides for standard operating procedures and MOUs, and more.
- Technical Assistance Catalog, which provides an up-to-date listing of technical services offerings, and an online technical assistance request form.
- Narrowband License Status Tools, which allow users to view VHF and UHF licensing data that is subject to the FCC Narrowbanding mandate and see summary information of how well states and counties are progressing in their efforts to narrowband from a licensing perspective.
- Frequency Mapping Tool, which allows users to conduct custom searches to map frequencies for fixed locations.
- Public Safety Tools Available Training, which provides links to online training and materials on the ICS Communications Unit (COMU), auxiliary communications, project management, suspicious activity reporting (SAR), audio gateway, and Radio 101 for Emergency Support Function (ESF).
- The "COMU Overview" course is led by SEARCH Public Safety Technology Specialist Dan Wills, and is available in various video formats, audio only, or as a PowerPoint download.
- The "Project Management Training" course is led by SEARCH Information Sharing Specialist Bonnie Maney, and is offered as a series of 10 video files that cover public safety project success factors, including governance, human resources, scope, time, cost, and quality.